Monday, March 14, 2016

50 really is just a number

A week ago I turned 50. 50 years old. I never thought I'd be the one it would bug to turn a half century old. Yet it did. My mind went to the "coulda shoulda wouldas. I finally have to face that I'm getting older. 50 seemed so old. 50 was ancient. 50 was bad.




But guess what? 50 is harmless. 50 is just a number just like 49 is. Noone has ever been harmed by turning 50. Lightening bolts didn't streak out of the sky because I'm now in a new demographic check box. You know "age:50-60". My hair didn't automatically turn grey, wrinkles didn't magically appear on my face. The skin on my hands are still age-spot free & taut. The lines by my eyes have come from years of laughing in the sun without sunglasses not because of a date on the calendar.  I think I look pretty damn good for being a half century old. How old would YOU my reader, think the woman in this picture is? 


The "coulda shoulda wouldas"? That's my fault, not the fault of turning 50. It doesn't mean life ends. It means maybe forcing myself to do things that may scare me or I don't think I should do. 

Paul Simon has told us there are "50 Ways to Leave a Lover". That song wouldn't have been a hit if he called it 42 Ways to Leave Your Lover" now would it?

Cosmopolitan magazine had an article, "50 Things Every Woman Should Do Before She Dies" http://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/a33210/things-every-woman-should-do-before-she-dies/.  All 50 are excellent ideas, GOOD ideas.  Google "50 things" & you'll find dozens more lists just like this, of varying subject matter. 

1966 wasn't just 50 years ago & not just when I & my good friend Pete as well as many classmats from the class of 1984 were born. It was also the year Super model Cindy Crawford, Janet Jackson, Halle Berry, Salma Hayek, Patrick Dempsey & Keifer Sutherland were born (I'm in sexy & gorgeous company there). Best Buy launched in 1966 as did Doritos, Fresca & Quaker Instant Oatmeal. Who hasn't played the game Twister while wearing their Vans shoes, both which debuted 50 years ago. I still wear Vans. 



Lots of good things & people were born or created 50 short years ago. I've been told to embrace 50. "Sign up for AARP, they have great discounts", "go to the carnival guess your age booth- noone would guess you're 50, you'll win a prize", "being 50 is more liberating". I do know what benefits there are getting to this age. Such as the loss of youth: while it was fun to be young I wouldn't go back to my teens or 20's for anything. I have stories to tel that in my younger days I wouldn't have. I have a deeper appreciation for my parents now : my Dad is gone, my Mom has Alzheimer's. I'm going to enjoy & love my Mom so much more now. 

So yes I turned 50. 50 & fabulous. After all 50 is just a number. What were your thoughts when you celebrated YOUR 50th birthday?


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Fifty was life changing for me and I realized I no longer had to march to the beat of the drums of others. Became more confident, outspoken (use to be painfully shy and stuttered) and stopped trying to please others, became politically independent and fight for issues on all sides. Found out I really like me and am able to enjoy life experiences to the full extent. I'm loving life, with a greater love and appreciation for family, friends, community and country.

    ReplyDelete